So, the brand new iPhone 14 is essentially the most repairable smartphone because the iPhone 7, in line with the consultants over at iFixit. This is smart, since not solely has Apple been working to make it simpler for homeowners to restore their gadgets, but it surely additionally helps Apple technicians when they’re repairing iPhones.
What’s unusual is that the iPhone 14 Professional and Professional Max traces aren’t as straightforward to restore. Maybe Apple has determined it prudent to check the brand new design for sturdiness earlier than rolling it out throughout the board.
There are two issues that you simply want to have the ability to perform profitable repairs: Know-how and the proper instruments.
And iFixit has each.
For know-how, go to the corporate’s in depth restore guides. Merely one of the best info obtainable, and all free.
However what about instruments?
Let’s check out among the instruments I exploit. Not all of those are particular to the iPhone, however these are the issues that I exploit essentially the most when diagnosing or repairing defective devices.
Evaluation: iPhone 14 Professional wins with substance over sizzle this 12 months
My toolkit of selection for a variety of years now could be the iFixit Professional Tech Toolkit. Just about all the things I would like, all saved in a single place and in a handy carry case. I’ve owned — and have been utilizing — my set for a few years, and it is nonetheless going sturdy.
If I needed to describe the brand new iFixit Professional Tech Toolkit in a single phrase, it could be “excellent.”
- 64 bit driver package.
- Anti-static wrist strap.
- Small suction cup.
- 3 x iFixit opening device.
- iFixit opening picks x6.
- Nylon-tipped reverse tweezers.
- Angled ESD tweezers.
- Blunt ESD tweezers.
- 2x spudger.
- Metallic spudger.
- Magnetic pad.
- Instrument roll.
This is an in depth itemizing of all of the bits within the driver package:
- Phillips 000, 00, 0, 1, 2.
- Flathead 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4 mm.
- Torx T2, T3, T4, T5.
- Torx Safety TR6, TR7, TR8, TR9, TR10, TR15, TR20, TR25.
- Pentalobe P2, P5, P6.
- JIS J000, J00, J0, J1.
- Hex 0.7, 0.9, 1.3, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5 mm.
- Tri-point Y000, Y00, Y0, Y1.
- Nut driver 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5 mm.
- Sq. 0, 1, 2.
- Gamebit 3.8, 4.5 mm.
- Spanner 4, 6, 8.
- Triangle 2, 3 mm.
- SIM eject bit.
- 1/4″ to 4 mm driver adapter.
USB energy testers have turn into a staple of my testing tools. An excellent tester can take a look at if USB ports are outputting the correct quantity of energy, examine the ability draw of gadgets, measure how a lot capability a battery has, examine what hundreds USB-C cables can carry, and way more.
This is among the simpler to make use of USB testers on the market. It comes with fairly good directions, and there aren’t too many buttons and controls to get all complicated.
Along with the show this device can save knowledge to a PC logger, which implies you could perform longer assessments.
This one device does a lot that it is indispensable!
- Show: IPS 1.14-inch 240×135 pixel.
- Connector: Full 24-pin Kind-C ports with USB3.2 Gen4 10Gbps move by.
- Voltage Present Vary: DC 4-26V(0.1-26V PC) 0-6.8A.
- Decision & Accuracy: 0.0001V 0.0001A 0.1%+second.
- E-mark reader: Assist.
- Gravity sensor: Assist.
- VBUS Oscilloscope: 8Msps, 1mV decision.
- Quick-charge set off for PD, PD PPS, QC2.0/3.0, FCP, SCP, AFC, VOOC, SuperVOOC.
Additionally: This USB-C tester will let you know in case your Apple chargers are real
My eyes aren’t what they was. Properly, to be sincere, my eyes had been by no means that good, however I managed. Since I used to be discovering duties involving small issues to be a bit problematic, it was time to do one thing about it.
Enter this low cost magnifier, which not solely options magnification lenses, but in addition comes full with LED lights.
- The headscarf is adjustable and tremendous comfy.
- The dual-LED lights powered by two AAA batteries are brilliant, and might pan left and proper, or be angled up or down.
- Comes with three lenses (a hard and fast 1.9x stereo lens, a drop-down 1.9x stereo lens, and a 4.5x loupe) permitting for 4 magnifications as much as 8.3x.
- The lenses are prime quality and distortion-free.
- It is light-weight but sturdy.
I’ve used mine now for properly over a 12 months now, and I’ve no complaints. I actually love the pan and tilt LEDs, as this enables me to get the sunshine precisely on what I am doing.
When the diagnostics are finished, it is time to begin repairing issues. And whereas most elements today are disposable, it is good after I come throughout one thing that is repairable.
Possibly it is a cable that is come free, or a part that wants changing.
That is when a soldering iron is available in tremendous useful. I exploit a butane-powered iron as a result of that offers me flexibility to restore issues when away from an influence provide.
- Cordless butane soldering torch, excellent not just for soldering but in addition pyrography, shrinking heatsink, reducing plastic, heating, and different passion and craft initiatives.
- Built-in ignition set off with security lock to stop unintended ignition.
- Variable temperature management for exact management, from 1022° F – 2192° F.
- Flame lock-on mechanism retains the torch on a steady flame for less complicated operation.
- Versatile 14-piece accent package.
- Refillable tank with a 75 minutes burn time.
Additionally: The perfect evening imaginative and prescient safety cameras: See at midnight
My favourite Android smartphone is the Ulefone Armor 9. It is rugged. It is chunky! It is powerful. And it has a built-in FLIR Lepton thermal digital camera!
I used to assume that thermal cameras had been a cool toy for folks with extra money than sense. However having used one for a number of years now, I am discovering it invaluable to have the “superpower” to have the ability to see in infrared.
As a result of in terms of electrical repairs, extra warmth implies that there’s one thing flawed, and this digital camera permits me to see this overloading immediately.
I have been utilizing the thermal digital camera within the Ulefone Armor 9 to identify unhealthy connections and overheating elements, and it is a terrific device for recognizing warmth buildup in PCs. It is also nice across the residence for a myriad of issues, from recognizing warmth escape factors to discovering airlocks within the heating system.
- MediaTek Helios P90 octa-core processor, as much as 2.2GHz.
- 6.3-inch 2340 x 1080 FHD+ 410 PPI LCD multi-touch show with IPS expertise.
- 8GB LPDDR4x dual-channel RAM.
- 128GB UFS2.1 ROM.
- SD card As much as 2TB.
- FLIR Lepton thermal digital camera with -10℃ – 400℃ vary (assisted by a 5-megapixel rear digital camera).
- Samsung 64-megapixel rear digital camera.
- 2-megapixel secondary rear digital camera.
- Quad-LED flash.
- 8- megapixel entrance digital camera.
- 6600mAh battery.
- 18W quick charging supported.
- Fingerprint unlock.
- Twin-SIM assist.
- Headphone jack.
- Endoscope port.
- USB-C port.
- IP68/IP69K/MIL-STD-810G rated.