LONDON (AP) — The loss of life of Queen Elizabeth II set in movement a tightly choreographed sequence of ceremonial and constitutional steps, as Britain undergoes a interval of nationwide mourning and enters the reign of King Charles III.
A protracted-established 10-day plan, code-named Operation London Bridge, covers preparations for the queen’s remaining journey to London and state funeral. Here’s a have a look at what is going to occur within the coming days:
Saturday, Sept. 10
– King Charles III met at St. James’s Palace with senior officers referred to as the Accession Council and was formally proclaimed king. With a trumpet fanfare, an official learn the proclamation aloud from a palace balcony. It was additionally learn out in different places throughout the U.Okay.
– At Parliament, new British Prime Minister Liz Truss and senior lawmakers took an oath of allegiance to the brand new king earlier than holding a day of tributes to the late queen.
__ Prince William and his spouse Kate, the Princess of Wales, was joined by Prince Harry and his spouse Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, to view floral tributes left by the general public in honor of Queen Elizabeth II.
– Close to Balmoral Fortress in Scotland, the queen’s three youthful kids – Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward – and their households learn a few of the a whole bunch of floral tributes to the queen.
Sunday, Sept. 11
– The queen’s oak coffin shall be carried from Balmoral Fortress in Scotland by six gamekeepers from her property and pushed to Edinburgh, passing by means of cities and villages so folks will pay their respects alongside the route. It rests in a single day on the Palace of Holyroodhouse within the Scottish capital.
– In London, the king hosts a reception for diplomats from the 14 different Commonwealth nations the place he’s king.
Monday, Sept. 12
– The queen’s coffin, accompanied by the king and queen consort, travels to Edinburgh’s St. Giles’ Cathedral the place it’ll keep for twenty-four hours so the general public will pay their respects. Members of the royal household will maintain a vigil by the coffin within the night.
– King Charles II and Camilla, the Queen Consort, will go to Parliament to obtain condolences from the Home of Commons and the Home of Lords.
– The royal couple then fly to Edinburgh the place they attend a service of remembrance for the queen, go to the Scottish Parliament and meet senior officers.
Tuesday Sept. 13
– The queen’s coffin is taken by hearse to Edinburgh Airport. Will probably be flown by the Royal Air Drive to London and brought to Buckingham Palace.
– The king and Camilla go to Northern Eire, the place they meet politicians and religion leaders and attend a service of remembrance at St. Anne’s Cathedral.
Wednesday, Sept. 14
– The coffin is transported from Buckingham Palace to Parliament on a gun carriage, with the king and different royals strolling behind.
– It’s positioned in Parliament’s medieval Westminster Corridor, the place the archbishop of Canterbury conducts a brief service. The queen will then lie in state for 4 days, till the morning of her funeral. Members of the general public will have the ability to pay their respects and troops will maintain a round the clock vigil.
Friday, Sept. 16
– The king and queen consort will go to Wales.
Monday, Sept. 19
– The queen’s coffin shall be taken from Westminster Corridor to close by Westminster Abbey for a state funeral that begins at 11 a.m. Leaders and dignitaries from world wide are anticipated to attend. The funeral marks the top of 10 days of nationwide morning, and the day shall be a public vacation throughout the U.Okay.
Copyright © 2022 The Washington Occasions, LLC.